The Romanian Institute of Science and Technology (RIST) has an opening for a position of Machine Learning Programmer, up to September 2020, in the context of the DeepRiemann project: “Riemannian Optimization Methods for Deep Learning”, funded by European structural funds through the Competitiveness Operational Programme (POC 2014-2020), and led by Dr. Luigi Malagò.
The successful applicant will be part of a newly created team of international researchers working in machine learning, large-scale optimization and deep neural learning. The main task of the applicant will be to support the researchers of the team in the design and the experimental evaluation of novel algorithms for inference, classification, and prediction tasks, with applications in text analysis and computer vision. The selected candidates will be asked to program mainly in Python and efficiently implement algorithms over GPU-based parallel computing architectures.
This position represents an ideal and privileged opportunity for both recently graduated master students and more experienced computer scientists and engineers to join a vibrant, international, and multidisciplinary working environment, and to contribute to the advancement of the state of the art of the research in machine learning and related fields. The DeepRiemann project will focus on both basic and applied research activities, which are expected, at the end of the 4 years, to set the basis for a startup or spin-off of the research group.
The selected candidate will have the opportunity to contribute to the research activities as coauthor of research papers to be presented at international conferences, and to present results at scientific seminars and workshops.
The contract may start as soon as possible. RIST, which is located in Cluj-Napoca, offers competitive salaries and top-level working conditions. The net salary for this position will be approximately in the range of 6.500 to 8.000 lei per month, according to the experience of the candidate.
RIST is an equal opportunity employer, and women, members of underrepresented groups, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Equal opportunity is a principle underlying the whole selection process.
- Support the researchers of the team in the design, implementation and experimental analysis of novel algorithms for classification and prediction tasks, typically for text analysis and computer vision tasks
- Integrate new and existing machine learning algorithms in frameworks oriented to GPU-based parallel computing
- Perform experimental evaluations over standard benchmarks and real-world problems
- Conduct independent exploratory research in machine learning
- Configure and manage linux workstations
Desired qualifications and skills
- Bachelor (master degree is preferred) in computer science, information technology engineering, applied mathematics, or related fields
- Strong analytical skills, such as problem solving and logical thinking
- Solid background in one or more of areas of linear algebra, algorithms and data structures, optimization and statistics
- Good experience in scientific and object-oriented programming (such as C/C++)
- Good proficiency in scripting languages (for instance Python or Matlab)
- Basic knowledge of the linux operating system
- Enthusiasm to learn new things and work in a multidisciplinary and international research environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Skills which represent a plus
- A track record of research experience, i.e., research papers
- Proven experience in algorithm design, machine learning techniques, and deep learning
- Familiarity with latex
- Familiarity with GPU computing and any of the following: Torch, Theano, Caffe, TensorFlow and CUDA programming
Learning is required: selected candidates will undergo a continuous training in optimization and basic and applied machine learning.
How to apply
In order to apply to this position, the interested candidates should send the following material, in pdf format, to the following email address firstname.lastname@example.org, mentioning in the subject of the email “Machine Learning Programmer application”. All material should be written in English. The email should include among the attachments:
- Motivation letter: Why would you like to work with us? Why should we hire you?
- Full curriculum vitae (please include the list of courses attended)
If you have any scientific publication, you can attach it to the application. Scientific publications are not required for this position, even if they may represent a plus.
We are looking forward to hearing from you!